Remembering Davao

Generally, when we hear the word Davao, first thing that comes to mind is Mt. Apo, Philippine's highest mountain, and the sweet smelly Durian. I first stepped into Davao during the 90's when my parents decided to land at Davao Airport instead of the usual GenSan route. It was the first year the clan decided to celebrate a grand reunion at the family's property in Lake Sebu, South Cotabato. From Davao Airport, we went straight to Seagull Beach Resort where we had an overnight stay. I remember that drizzly night when mom woke me up because we all needed to transfer at a much higher ground because the sea water is gradually rising, it nearly touches the inside of the stilt cottage where we were staying.

Davao's Seagull Beach Resort during the 90's
Davao was also the first province that made me taste the variation of garlic and buttered chicken. For a then 11 year old like me who knew nothing about fried chicken other than Jollibee's chicken joy version, it was a mouthful delight and a wonderful young foodie experience. Garlic and butter chicken has then since became my favorite chicken dish.

Fast forward 2008 during my first solo trip to the province, my aunt and uncle tagged me along for a butt tiring 4 hour road trip from Koronadal to Davao. We ate our brunch at Kuya Ed enjoying an "eat all you can" for only Php99! This is definitely something a Manila bred girl can appreciate - good food for a good price!

Davao: Kuya Ed
Later that day, I met up with my cousin Charlene who was taking up Law at Ateneo de Davao. She gladly toured me (the La Sallian) inside her school (no competition!).
Ateneo de Davao University
Strolling along the main streets of Davao is far beyond compare if you get yourself stuck in the streets of Manila for one obvious reason, Davao city is CLEAN. The air is clean, the water is clean...the place in general is clean, no wonder it was awarded as "The Cleanest and Greenest City in the Philippines" (Highly urbanized category).  
The Marco Polo
We both met our uncle and aunt at People's Park situated at the very heart of the city. It's open for public, free of charge. One thing distinct about this park is that it boasts  large sculptures made by the Mindanaon artist Kublai Millan representing indigenous groups in Southern Mindanao. I wished I could have stayed long enough to see and admire its lights during the night.  

People's Park: sculpture made by Kublai Millan
The photos below were captured by my younger brother who just happened to tour the rest of Davao last month (inggit mode!) Let me share a few of those pictures here:
Deca Wakeboard Park

more photos at The Walking Tripod
I really want to see Davao again. I heard a lot of new interesting places to explore and activities to enjoy. Hopefully on my next Mindanao trip...

Popular posts from this blog

Baguio: 2 Days 1 Night Itinerary

Pagsanjan Falls: The Php150 Challenge

Laguna: 2 Days Itinerary and Budget Expenses

2Go: The New Way to Travel to Boracay

Boracay: Itinerary, Expenses and Tips